As Africa’s first competitive gay inclusive rugby club, our vision is to leave a lasting legacy of transformation in sport. For JCR Club to be a sustainable, successful, respected and inclusive Rugby Club that is a harassment free environment for everyone to enjoy the game of rugby.
To stand steadfast in our values, grow gay and inclusive rugby across South Africa and see a future in sport where JRC Club is just another rugby club channel, that can potentially produce a Springbok in a sporting fraternity that believes that homophobia has no place in sport.
Our vision includes the creation and inspiration of safe spaces in the form of gay and inclusive rugby clubs, across the country. We would like to create lasting change for good in our country, using our beloved game of rugby that has proven to united our country once before, in 1995 with Madiba handing over the Rugby World Cup Trophy to our Springboks. We want to change the sporting code of ethic in South Africa to have a zero tolerance on homophobia in Rugby. As with our #SpiritOfCommunity initiative we understand that change starts at home and within the entire rugby community; Department of Sport & Recreation, Sporting Associations, Sporting institutions, Rugby Unions, clubs, officials, Sportsmen and women, fans and communities alike. To be a catalyst of change for good within our communities, with our peers and for our country, supported by building international networks and awareness about gay rights through rugby.
- To grow and develop gay and inclusive rugby across South Africa
- Offer a safe and harassment free environment that caters for adult beginners touch and contact rugby.
- Develop the self confidence and motivation of all its players;
- Field a team that plays and enjoys competitive senior rugby;
- Improve as rugby players and officials every year and provide an inspiring environment for players, officials and supporters to develop their interest in the sport and the Club
- Supply an alternative platform for those desiring to play social and competitive touch and contact rugby
- Provide structured training at various levels to advance the abilities of all players joining the club
- Provide an environment where the LGBTIQ* community can feel comfortable about their sexuality whilst pursuing their interest in rugby
- Actively encourage new and former players, especially where they may have been discouraged by prejudice;
- Encourage, develop and integrate the club’s supporters
- Provide an active social programme for the enjoyment of players and supporters
- Conduct ourselves in a manner which promotes respect for ourselves, match officials, our opponents, spectators, the community and the game of rugby
- Make a valuable contribution to Johannesburg Rugby, Gauteng Rugby and South Afircan Rugby
- Contribute to the LGBTIQ and wider communities through our participation in community events and our support of key organisations
- Support the development of gay and inclusive rugby in South Africa and help promote gay and inclusive-identified rugby clubs
- Work closely with our sponsors to help them realise their long-term goals and the full benefits of sponsorship
- Operate an effective, efficient and financially stable organisation which supports the achievement of our core long-term aims.
- Most of all have fun, make new friends and enjoy game of rugby
The Jozi Cats are a people association first and a Rugby Club second and the values we stand steadfast in, represent the beating heart from which we have built our unshakable culture with our #BtheWhistle on homophobia in sport #SpiritOfCommunity and creating #SafeSpaces initiatives driving social change and ensuring we uphold our values.
- Promote inclusivity and diversity in sport and equality for all
- Mutual & Self Respect
- Open and honest Communication
- Good Sportsmanship
- Promote a safe harassment free environment for everyone to enjoy the game of rugby
- Live your best in health and well-being, while having fun